Tuesday, July 01, 2008

what does it look like?

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

What does it look like to live like Acts 20:24 is true?

It could look like being on an island in the middle of the Ecuador amazon, and for reasons still not fully understood sixty years later, the native Americans you're trying to reach come at you with spears, and instead of shooting, you...well i don't know what you'd do. Run? Pray? Try and defend your friends? Make for the plane? But it means that despite having the firepower the defend yourself, and see your wife and kids again, you die, because the advance of the Gospel would be harmed if you fought back.

Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Roger Youderian, Ed McCully and Pete Fleming had guns. This only struck me recently. They really really could've fought back. I'm not going to lie, if that was me, i'd be reaching for my holster and shooting, and shooting to kill. But they didn't, because they really really considered the Gospel more important than their lives.

No comments: