Saturday, October 04, 2008

Titus 2:3-5 (3)

The third part of my script from wednesday night

But why are these things important? Surely once we’ve saved we can live as we want? Well Paul tells us the reason this is so important at the end of verse five. Older women are to teach in this way, and younger women are to live in this way so that ‘the Word of God be not blasphemed’. The Word of God is the cornerstone of any church worth the name, the Word of God is to be listened to, obeyed and revered. The life changing affect of the Word must be reflected in our lives so that we may attract the unsaved to the Gospel. If people in the church look no different to those outside the church, what does that say to non Christians about the power and reality of the Gospel? In Matthew 5:16 Jesus commands His followers to ‘let you light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven’. We must live in a way that the Word of God is not blasphemed so that when people look at us, they want Jesus.

I think it is impossible to over emphasis the importance of the Word in the life of individual and corporate Christians. Therefore if we take this text to it’s logical conclusion it is impossible to over emphasis the importance that a holy, modest, Christ exalting lifestyle has. I don’t want to live a Bible based life, I don’t want to go to a Bible based Church, I don’t want to be a Bible based preacher…I want my church, my life and my preaching soaked in scripture. But that means that my life, and our lives must reflect the values and character Paul talks about here. For the Glory of God in His Word, and for those on the outside looking in…

1 comment:

Cat said...

Hey Ed,
I found these posts really helpful! Thank you so much :o)!

Hope your doing well?!