Sunday, October 19, 2008

A hymn of grace

We sung this in church this morning. It was wonderful to be surrounded by so many people just belting it out. It wasn't the first time i'd sung it, but i think it was the first time i really, really really grasped how wonderful, gracious and true the first verse is. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly trust in Jesus name. You know what, there are a million things around that we are asked to believe in, millions of functional savours from funtional hells. But, instead of them, trsut Jesus, whose blood will never fail. Also, i love the first verse, because it reminds me that all i can is lean. Thats all, i bring nothing, i have nothing, i offer nothing, all i can do is lean. Simply lean on Jesus and trust His blood:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain: 
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

No comments: