Sunday, November 12, 2006

Remembrance Sunday

They shall not grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the Sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.

Remembrance sunday always deeply affects me, to the extent that this morning i was pretty much already in tears befiore the service stsrted, and ended it by gasping my way through 'i vow the thee my country'. I was at my mums Anglican church in Lacey Green this morning, as my Grandad was laying the wreath...he conceeded to wearing his Royal Marines tie, but modesty kept him from wearing his medals, of which there are many. It was lovely in many ways....i went with a lot of bad thoughs toward the place in my heart, which was wrong. We sung some great Wesleyan hymns, and Norman did mention the cross as he preached, although i doubt he enthroned Christ in the hearts of many as he did, it was thoughtfull and comforting. Though even as i type i'm asking whether those things are primary when someone preaches. I think not. Anyway, i liked it, it was a nice place to be this morning. And i enjoy the communional aspect of so much of a traditional service, like reading from the prayer book, and Communion itself, and those mats they give you to save your knees when you pray.

So i'm not sure why this day leaves me so affected. Maybe because of my time in the ATC (unlikely, i started going because of a girl and then stopped going two years later because of a girl...quelle surprise, plus ca chance mai non?), maybe because of the way that the self sacrificial death of so many points to the Cross in some way...i'd like to think it's that, but it's probably not. Maybe it is. Anyway, this morning i went to a church that is different in mostly every way to what i like, and used to and choose...and still met with the Living God...thats pretty cool.

No comments: