Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Racecar is Racecar backwards

Now, its fair to say i've been to some fairly obscure football matches in my time, Oxford United reserves versus Brentford reserves springs to mind (just don't ask right? I don't even like Oxford or Brentford let alone support them), but i think that yesterdays game just about shades it. Whilst my Dad was a guest at Stamford Bridge watching Chelsea in the Champions league, i was at humble Wilks Park, along with, i would guess, no more than thirty others, watching Flackwell Heath play Brook House in the Isthmian League Associate Members Trophy. Now i have neither the time nor the inclination to go into why this tournament, for Isthmian League Division Two sides exists, and how the Isthmian League itself was ravaged during the restructuring of the non-league pyramid, but lets just say its all a bit anomolous...
Why did i go? Maybe to prove something to myself, partly because i've always wanted to see Brook House play, and an ILAMT game. Partly just because it was on, and i had nothing better to do. I'm not sure what it is about my presence at Wilks Park that brings out the worst in people, but in my three visits there (four and half years between my first and second, 11 days between my second and third) i have seen three red cards, and any number of 'handbags' incidents...
Anyway roughly an hour from now i shall be taking my seat to watch Wycombe Wanderers reserves take on Brighton reserves. At least this game has some relevance to me!

No comments: