Sunday, September 07, 2008

Psalm 40:17

As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me.You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God

I love this verse. I love this verse because i love having my felt needs met. I love having my felt needs met by a wonderful all sufficient, never created God.

I love the flow and the logic of it. I am poor and needy. I don't often feel poor and needy, often i feel rich and sufficient, often i don't feel as though i want for anything. But those are wrong feelings. I am as poor and as needy as i could be. Hopelessly poor and desperately in need. This is my preaching verse. Whenever i'm about to get up and preach i just sit there and stare at this verse while the music finishes or the notices are read pleading with God to make it happen in the next half an hour or so. I am poor and needy.

But. Is there a sweeter word in the Bible than but? Hooray for the buts of the Bible! I am poor and needy but the Lord takes thought of me. Isn't that wonderful. The Lord knows my troubles, my struggles, my lack of faith and passion. I am poor in heart and needy of grace, and the Lord knows. And the best thing about that is that the Lord is there to help. And the Lord is able to help. I am poor and needy but i am not alone. The Lord takes thought of me.

These two wonderful truths drive David to prayer as the Psalm closes. You are my help and my deliverer, do not delay oh my God. We are needy and the Lord is mindful. What else should that do to us but drive us to this prayer. To make this our prayer. Do not delay God, i am poor and needy and you are able to help to and able to deliver. Please do so! What i love about this is that all this prayer does is ask God to be God. All it does is ask God to bring the glory to Himself as the water trough where we can be replenished. All we're asking God to do is be glorified through lifting up his poor and needy people for His own glory.

I love what this verse tells me about God, and i love what it reminds me about me!

No comments: