Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gone to Bulgaria: Hold the rope


Monday morning sees me and five others from church fly out to spend just under two weeks in Svishtov, northern Bulgaria. I'm very very excited, for a number of reasons, but mostly because i love Bulgaria and Bulgarians, and i'm fairly convuinced that thats where the Lord has me and rachel in the future. Do pray for me, Ken, Steve, Ross, Eddie and Darren as we fly across Europe. I love these words that Andrew Ryland wrote of William Carey, some two hundred years ago:


Our undertaking to India really appeared to me, on its commencement, to be somewhat like a few men, who were deliberating about the importance of penetrating into a deep mine, which had never before been explored, we had no one to guide us; and while we were thus deliberating, Carey, as it were, said “Well, I will go down, if you will hold the rope.” But before he went down . . . he, as it seemed to me, took an oath from each of us, at the mouth of the pit, to this effect—that “while we lived, we should never let go of the rope

No comments: